Lisbon, as I said before, is one of my favorite European cities. In the blinding sun (in February), you can see why. Part two continued.
Warning! I packed a lot into this post.
My top 5 Lisbon list.
1. San Jorge Castle Sunset–The view unfolds over some of Lisbon’s greatest, the National Pantheon, and a sea of red tiled roofs. Afterwards wind through Lisbon’s oldest neighborhood, Alfama, and get lost for a bit.
2. Sintra–Take the train out of Lisbon and enter a world filled with castles that snake up along the increasingly steep hill.
3. Ride a bike along Lisbon’s waterway–I didn’t do this, but it sounds incredibly delightful. Instead, I ran along. It was flat (unlike most of the city) and scenic.
4. Feira Da Ladra, or Thieves Market–This bargain ’til you drop market is a favorite among locals and tourists alike. The action starts every Saturday and Tuesday, from dawn to dusk.
5. Chapito–This former women’s prison, turned circus school, is too hip to be left unnamed. The bar downstairs boasts bookcases and dental chairs. We went for live music and stayed extra long for the glasses of Portuguese wine and port.
Now, to only find a moment to head up north! Oporto is next on my hit list.